Thursday, April 15, 2010

And it's called entertainment?

I've pretty much fallen hard for certain television programs. In the past it went from "Lost in Space" to "Brady Bunch, a few years later it's "SWAT" and "The Six Million Dollar Man" then "M*A*S*H" and "Saturday Night Live". Fast forward to "Seinfeld", "Arrested Development", "Chapelle's Show" and bring it home with "Lost", "Modern Family" and "Parenthood".

But, I gotta tell you...what are these people selling?

"Lost". Really? What the F is going on here? Flash forwards, backwards and sideways? It's either genius, or I, along with a million+ others are the laughing stock of all those folks sitting in Hollywood coming up with this stuff and getting it on air.

"Parenthood". A delightful little movie with Steve Martin and Rick Moranis back in the late 80's. Now? It's an unbelievably unbelievable look at the trials and tribulations of one family, and their associated associates. Sort of a re-constructed "thirtysomething" (Yes, please add that little program to my list above).

"Modern Family". Perhaps more appropriately named "Ripped off from Arrested Development". Even if it's brought to us by the same folks who brought us "Arrested Development", it's not nearly as good as "A D" was, and let me tell you something "A D" was a really, really good TV program (go find it and enjoy the three seasons of its existence).

Dave Chappelle. "Chappelle's Show". Pure genius. Unrelentingly funny. Completely honest and unlike any other comedy variety program on TV. At the time, maybe ever. Not counting "The Flip Wilson Show", "Laugh-In" and "The Carol Burnett Show".

So, I don't know...if someone were to take TV from me, would I survive? Yeah, I would. But I don't think I'd enjoy watching, talking about, or chastising myself over doing all the above since, well, I was about 5 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment